Thursday, November 24, 2016

The Biggest Thanksgiving of All

Thanksgiving dinners have always been a big deal for me. I grew up around my great grandmother’s table with all my dad’s relatives.  Since our house was a castle with the draw bridge up, it was the biggest gathering outside of school that I experienced, and I LOVED it! 
This year I am greeting the holiday with some of my typical anxiety. Living in a foreign country there isn’t the same build up, and there aren’t relatives, which means the organization falls on me and that is a hard fall. 
I wanted a room filled with people, all my tables and chairs getting used, but not this year. I currently find myself without a large group of friends. Thankfully I do have people coming who are wonderful.
Last week I was at a leadership-training seminar surrounded by people.  I met new folks and old friends and we laughed and we cried and I immensely enjoyed being around ALL of them. 
We celebrated Communion together; the Lord’s Table.  The kids used to call it the Lord’s lunch.  Each table was green felt with a bowl of broken matzo crackers and a glass of grape juice, not very visually appealing.  I thought of a lovely Thanksgiving table, covered with expensive, delicious food, flowers and candles. What sharp contrast visually but spiritually, the Lord’s Table was much more. The price of the two items in that supper was incomprehensible, the meaning so much deeper.
We sang a song. One of the lines was about me, “Once your enemy, now seated at your table.”
The past two years we have had a guest at our thanksgiving table that probably won’t be there this year. We invited them and still hope.  Christ did everything so I, the enemy, could sit at his table.  I didn’t want to come, but he invited me anyway and paid for everything I needed so I could come.

This year as I prepare my thanksgiving dinner I will miss some friends to the point of weeping.  And yet I want to remember the price it cost God, the price of His only Son’s death, for me to sit at His table and that is truly something for which to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment